Multnomah County Library
Library Materials Handling and Collection Management Study
Multnomah County was suffering from overcrowding. There were too many books for the shelves despite their aggressive weeding protocols. To assist in finding solutions, Lori Ayre conducted a comprehensive materials handling and collection management analysis resulting in multiple recommendations falling into six categories:
- Automate the sort and delivery operations
- Create an off-site, just-in-time storage and retrieval system that is integrated with the sort operation.
- Add automated materials handling systems (sorters and self-service check-in) at the Central and regional libraries.
- Add stand-alone bookdrops and expand the size of the Delivery team.
- Make policy and procedures changes
- Expand self-service options.